Client – The Retreats Group
Contract Value – £3.0 million
Location – Roch, St Davids
Commission – Full architectural service
Roch Castle is a D-shaped stone tower perched on a outcrop of igneous rock. The castle was constructed as one of a number of defensible sites along the ‘landsker line’. Following the civil war the castle was left a ruin and it was purchased by Sir John Wynford Philips in 1899 (later Viscount St. Davids). He instigated extensive restoration works including the addition of a three storey extension on the northern side of the tower and installation of new floors.
Converted from a ruin into a private house in 1910 and further altered in the 1950’s the structure had recently been showing substantial deterioration. The project called for the removal of inappropriate cement and in situ concrete and replacement with lime based materials and breathing finishes that retain the character of the ancient structure. The interiors have been delicately upgraded to 5* boutique accommodation with contemporary bathroom suites and rooftop sun room.
More information on the 5* accomodation can be found at www.retreatsgroup.com