Client – Mencap Gardens
Location – Stackpole
Commission – Competitive Entry
Stackpole Court was built between 1735 and 1758 by John Campbell. Over the next century, various additions were made to the estate including the Victorian walled gardens.
With the Mansion demolished (in 1963) the walled gardens survive as part of the legacy of Stackpole Court and the gardens are now run by the Haverfordwest Mencap Society.
AHA recently submitted a competition entry against 3 other architects for the design of Stackpole Visitor/Learning Centre.
The scheme encompassed several key ideas: to sit lightly within its context, to be environmentally & cost friendly & to allow it to function as a visitor centre and as a learning centre without interference.
The scheme made use of a prefabricated timber frame which would allow quick erection on site.