Contract Value – £1.6 million
Location – The Royal Dockyard, Pembroke Dock
Commission – Full architectural service
Built in 1830, the chapel was designed by George Ledwell Taylor, as the centre piece of the formal layout of the Terrace within which it is grouped. The chapel is thought to be the only Georgian classical chapel to survive in South Wales. Last occupied in 1986, by 2003 the lead and slate had been stripped and 3 roof trusses had collapsed.
Acanthus Holden’s involvement with the Garrison Chapel dates back to 1995 when the building was surveyed. A large injection of funds into the area by the Townscape Heritage Initiative has allow major external and internal repairs including;
-The removal of later extensions
– Re-roofing, slating and gutter replacement
– Re-casting of the iron windows
– The rebuilding of the internal balcony
– The renewal of the tower dome
– The construction of a new service wing (2014)
Awarded Best Re-use of a Georgian Building Award 2008 by the Georgian Group
CLAW Building of the Year Commendation.