e:architects@acanthus-holden.co.uk t:+441646 685472

Customs House

Client – Milford Haven Port Authority

Contract Value – £300,000

Location – The Royal Dockyard, Pembroke Dock

Commission – Full Architectural Service

The listed (II*) buildings of the Royal Dockyard are especially interesting because of the early use of cast & wrought iron, evolving out of the development of iron framed and clad warships built in Pembroke Dock. Acanthus Holden have been lucky enough to work on most of the remaining 19th century listed buildings in the Dockyard including,
– The Garrison Chapel
– No.1 & No.2 The Terrace – The Guard House
– The Captain Superintendent’s Office
– Sunderland House
– The Customs House

The Customs House was one of the earliest buildings in the docks, built in 1810. The roof and floor structures are in cast iron along with the windows and parapet gutters. Conservation and repairs to the external building envelope have been recently completed including, re-slating, recasting the windows and lime washing the external rubble masonry.

Acanthus Holden Architects Planners Pembroke Pembrokeshire Carmarthenshire Cardiganshire West Wales