Client – Neath Port Talbot Borough Council
Contract Value – £500,000 (est)
Location – Margam Park, Port Talbot
Commission – Full Architectural Service
The Citrus House along with the Orangery are 2 of the most important elements of the Historic Landscape at Margam Abbey. Separately listed II*, the Citrus House was constructed in its present form in 1800.
The glasshouse, some 44.5m long consists of a glazed central section between cement rendered pavilions at either end. The main glazed roof is in 2 pitches supported centrally off an arcade of slender cast iron columns.
Now in a severe state of dilapidation, Acanthus Holden have been commissioned to design and manage the repair of the structure and convert the building into a visitor centre directed towards the history of citrus cultivation.
Using steel ‘flitch’ plates the architects have managed to design the glazing supports to current standards without any increase in overall size.