Client – The Monastic Community
Location – Caldey Island
Commission – Full Architectural Service
The Listed Grade two star Caldey Monastery, designed by John Coates Carter in an Italianate style, was built in 1906 by the Anglican Benedictines. Today the island is inhabited by the Cistercians Monks who arrived in 1929.
The practice has designed and managed an extensive schedule of conservation works to the Monastery at Caldey. The works were funded in part by the H.L.F. for whom a Conservation Plan was prepared, and included the reroofing of 90% of the monastery and the renewal of lost architectural features.
Awarded Best Refurbishment Clay Roofing Awards 2002