Client – Neath Port Talbot Borough Council
Location – Briton Ferry, Port Talbot
Commission – Full Architectural Service
The Briton Ferry ‘floating’ dock was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel to serve the tinplate, iron & steel works that opened up in the 1860’s. The Brunel tower housed the hydraulic ram that opened and closed the harbour gates alongside.
Acanthus Holden Architects were commissioned in 1903 to repair the roof and secure the building.
The design of the roof was deduced from archaeological evidence and the windows set out from remnants remaining in position.