Contract Value – £1.3 million
Location – Barry, The Vale of Glamorgan
Commission – Full Architectural Service
One of the few remaining pumphouses in Wales, the pumphouse was built in the 1880’s and has a 42 metre high chimney. It was built to provide hydraulic power to operate coal drops, swinging bridges and other equipment in Barry Docks.
The pumphouse (listed Grade II) is now part of Barry’s Waterfront Innovation Quarter, and has been restored as an important part of Barry’s industrial heritage.
Acanthus Holden Architects were lead consultant and conservation Architects for a phased project which started in February 2009 and was completed in Autumn 2011.
Apart from the straight forward works of re-flooring and repointing, the project also involved the renewal of cast iron windows and the removal of quantities of buried asbestos and arsenic paint.